Thursday, August 7, 2008

Where have you nursed?


About a month ago I traveled with my partner and baby to a conference out of town. He's a high school teacher and the conference was for both teachers and students. I spent the bulk of the 4-day event holed up in the hotel because there was nothing to do in the area. It was nice to have a few days to just relax and take naps with my son! The last day of the conference there was only one short session, in the morning, and the organizers told my partner that me and the baby should come. While everyone else was listening to the speaker in one of the conference rooms, we sat in the last row and played. When he got hungry, I latched him on and he was nursing away happily. Right as he was about to finish, a teacher came up to me and asked me if I could cover up or leave the room. Now, I am not shy about nursing in public, but I had on a baby-doll style top and absolutely nothing was showing. I told her that I would not cover up and that my baby wouldn't tolerate it anyway. She implored me because there were "high school kids around." High school kids! Does she think these kids have never seen a breast before? Does she really think they were interested in seeing mine? I politely told her that I would not stop or cover up or leave, reminded her that breastfeeding in public is not illegal and that no one was paying any attention to me but her!
So I am stealing an idea from Maria over at A Piece of My Mind. In recognition of the last day of World Breastfeeding Week, let's celebrate all of the places where you've nursed your baby in public without incident. Maria posted her list and it's a doozy. Can anyone beat her??

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails