Thursday, September 25, 2008

PETA wants ice cream made with breast milk


I wasn't going to post about this nonsense, but it seems that folks on the internet are getting a kick out of it, so here ya go. PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) sent the owners of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream a letter, asking them to no longer make their ice cream with cow's milk, but breast milk instead. They were inspired by that Swiss chef I wrote about last week who will be making sauces and stews in his new restaurant out of 75% breast milk.
PETA wants to reduce the suffering of cows and provide a healthier product for humans. Now, I am all for ending the suffering of any animal. Although I am not a vegetarian, I am an animal lover and I wish that animals raised for the purpose of becoming our food were treated more ethically. But PETA always gets it wrong because they assume that you can only care about humans or animals, not both, and that animals always come first. So it's not OK for cows to suffer, but it is OK for women around the world to be chained to a breast pump 24/7 in order to produce the gallons of breast milk it would take to make those tiny pints of ice cream? And what will these women's babies eat? Formula? Which is, all together now, processed cow's milk!
I don't even know why I am getting worked up because I know that PETA will always come up with some crazy scheme in order to get media attention, and look, it worked. I absolutely love the response from Ben & Jerry's spokesman, Sean Greenwood.
"We applaud PETA's novel approach to bringing attention to an issue, but we believe a mother's milk is best used for her child." Amen, brotha. If you want socially responsible cold treats, buy rice milk or soy milk ice cream.
OK, I am off to eat some Vermonty Python. YUM.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails