Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Question of the Day: Sour Milk

Here is a question I received from a reader:

My newborn is currently being breastfed. I was unable to breastfeed my baby for two days. Has my milk gone sour?

I'm not sure where this myth about breast milk "going sour" in the breast started, but it's patently false. Your breast milk in your breast is always fresh and even if you have to stop nursing for a day or two because of surgery or medication or separation from your baby, your milk is still as good as it ever was. If you cannot nurse your baby for an extended period of time, regardless of the reason, you want to make sure to pump so that your supply doesn't diminish. Ideally you would be able to pump for every missed feeding, but this is not always possible. Try to pump about every 3 hours until you can get your baby back to the breast.

Milk that is expressed from your breast and is in a bottle or breast milk storage bag, CAN go sour.

You want to be sure you follow the guidelines closely for breast milk storage which you can find on this LLLI Fact Sheet. Washing your hands, sterilizing your pump parts and bottles and immediately storing your milk will all help to keep it fresh.

Never want to miss an update of the Blacktating Blog? Subscribe here.

Twitter me- I'm blacktating

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails