Thursday, April 7, 2011

Not a public thing to do?


Just a few minutes ago, I was getting my daily dose of D-list celebrity/reality TV gossip by reading one of my favorite blogs, Reality Tea. I'm woefully behind on my Google Reader because of a crazy hectic week at work so I'm a bit late to reading about the drama on the set of a commercial shoot for Bravo TV. Apparently Top Chef host Padma Lakshmi was "mean" to some of the Housewives chicks and didn't pay any attention to them during the shoot. Mostly I'd laugh at this and move on, but a comment from Padma's co-host Gail Simmons caught my eye.

Gail was asked her take on the snubbing by the NY Post and had this to say:

“We didn’t know a lot of the women [who were there]. It’s not like we work together on a regular basis. I met a lot of people on the set for the first time. It’s not like we’re holding hands and singing ‘Kumbaya.’” Gail added, “I don’t think I spoke to most people, either. You are there to do a job. She [Padma] was with her child. I would think that anyone could understand that, and she’s still nursing, which is also not a public thing to do. What’s there to complain about? It’s not high school. We’re all professionals.”

It's not high school and everyone is a professional but yet the idea that one might nurse her child in public, or even while at work, can't be fathomed. Why is nursing not a public thing to do? While I am thrilled that Padma is still breastfeeding her daughter Krishna (who is 14 months old) why is this something that needs to be hidden? Are Gail's views skewed because she's not yet a mother? Is Padma more cautious because she doesn't want photos of her nursing to be made public? Seems doubtful as she is a formal model who has posed nude.  I can't answer those questions but I also couldn't help but roll my eyes at the quote.

We've still got a lot of work to do, especially when it comes to Bravolebrities.



Never want to miss an update of the Blacktating Blog? Subscribe here. Follow me on Twitter- http://www.twitter.com/blacktating

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails