Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2010 Celebrity Breastfeeding Round-Up

This year, lots of celebrities of color had babies and many of them were also breastfed. Here's a round-up of the celebs who gave their babies the best start in life in 2010.


Christina Milian gave birth to baby girl Violet in February. Christina initially said her goal was to breastfeed for one year and she credited the breastfeeding with helping her get back her bangin' body post-baby.






Paula Patton and hubby Robin Thicke welcomed son Julian Fuego in April. Robin talked about being on diaper duty and letting mom Paula handle the rest. No official talk about breastfeeding, but I'm just going to go ahead and call this one for Team Titty.




















Reality TV star Phaedra Parks gave birth to her baby boy Aiden in May. We got to see the Real Housewives of Atlanta cast member discuss her plans to breastfeed this season, as well as nurse her baby several times  on the show. Although Phaedra seemed totally clueless about breastfeeding, I'm pleased to see she figured it all out, and as of December was still nursing.


In June, actor Sean Patrick Thomas and his wife, Aonika Laurent Thomas, welcomed their second baby, a boy named Luc. Aonika is a veteran nursing mom, so I'm guessing she also breastfed baby Luc.



Keyshia Cole and Daniel "Boobie" Gibson welcomes baby Daniel Hiram, Jr. in March. No word on whether or not Keyshia breastfed, but we never saw the baby with a bottle and she was quoted as saying, "I’m so blessed to have him. I said God always comes on time because at that time, I was going through that with family, I was so hurt from it. Me being pregnant and coming to terms with myself and understanding that I’m having a baby now. So now I have to give my child everything that I wanted my mom to give me that I didn’t receive." So with no official word on breastfeeding, I'd like to assume the best and say yes.












I just find it very annoying that I have to even guess. When black celebrities have babies, why don't get they asked about breastfeeding like everyone else? One of the most famous singers in the world, Alicia Keys, had a baby in October and not one word about breastfeeding. While I am 99.9% sure she chose to bottle-feed, I am still shocked that the topic never came up. Where's our Angelina Jolie, our Jenna Elfman, our Christina Aguilera?  Hell, I'd even take a Gisele-level obnoxious statement from a black celebrity at this point.

Are you seriously going to make me hold my breath for Beyonce?


Never want to miss an update of the Blacktating Blog? Subscribe here. Follow me on Twitter-  I'm @Blacktating

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails